Allowed to Bring/Unrestricted
Free Baggage Allowances
Free baggage allowances regarding size, weight, and quantity of baggage vary with passenger itineraries, seating classes, and SKYPASS membership grades.
- The maximum size (width + heights + depth) is 158cm/62in and the maximum weight per bag is 23kg/ 50lb or 32kg/70lb depending on your ticket class and itineraries. Bags between 23 and 32kg (51–70lb) may incur additional charges depending on your allowance. You may find your free baggage allowance on your right side.
- For the safety of the baggage handlers, some countries might restrict any items that exceeds the maximum weight and/or size (width + height + depth) for a single piece, 32kg/70lb, 158cm/62in regardless of seat class and/or extra baggage payment.
- Service Charge
Fees vary depending on departure country and destination.
Departures from Korea will have KRW as standard, while departures from the U.S. use USD , departures from Canada use CAD prices and departures from Indonesia use IDR prices. Departures from other countries will use USD standard price converted based on the exchange rate of the day.
SKYPASS Checked Baggage Allowances
Membership comes with extra baggage privileges.
Depending on your SKYPASS membership grade, you are allowed to check extra baggage. (Restrictions may apply if you’re flying with a SkyTeam partner or codeshare partners.)
- Morning Calm Club: Additional 1 Piece
(32kg for First and Prestige classes, 23kg for Economy class, when flying economy on itineraries to or from Americas, additional 1 free baggage cannot be applied.)
- Morning Calm Premium Club: Additional 1 Piece
(32kg for First and Prestige classes, 23kg for Economy class)
- Million Miler Club: Additional 1 Piece (32kg)
reference In case of weight system, additional 10kg of baggage allowance for Morning Calm Club, additional 20kg for Morning Calm Premium Club, and 30kg for Million Miler Club.
Carry-on Items allowed
|Seating Class||Pieces||Total Weight|
First and Prestige
18kg or 40lb
12kg or 25lb
- Up to 55cm in width, 20cm in height and 40cm in depth including the handle and wheels.
- or a total sum of less than 115cm per piece
Additional carry-on allowances
One additional personal carry-on item — laptop, briefcase, handbag — is permitted for Economy Class. (Total weight of carry-on bag and additional allowance should not exceed 12kg.)
Carrying on musical instruments.
If the size of your musical instrument is less than 115 cm (45 in.) — such as a violin — you may carry it on free of charge. Larger instruments are permitted as carry-on items but an additional seat will need to be purchased to accommodate each item. Check for details here Open in a new window
Carry-on baggage storage
- All carry-ons must be able to be stored completely in an overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
- Please double-check to make sure you have all of your personal items before leaving the aircraft.
Transporting Sports Equipment
Additional charges for checked items
If your overall baggage count, including sports equipment, exceeds the free allowance provided by your fare type, an extra piece fee will apply.
A golf bag containing golf clubs (A is a height of the golf bag that includes the golf club. B indicates the length of the golf bag and C indicates the width of the golf bag.)
- - Any item over 23 kg (50 lb) will be charged an overweight fee.
- - Any item over 158 cm (62 in) will be charged an oversize fee.
(For details, please refer to each item listed on the right.)
- - Maximum dimensions per bag, regardless of fee: Total weight, 32 kg (70 lb); total linear size(A + B + C), 277 cm (109 in).
Transporting Valuable Items
Keep valuables with you
- We strongly advise that you carry on high-priced items (such as laptops, cameras, jewelry and currency) and not check them in with your other baggage.
- If you do decide to check such items, Korean Air is not responsible for any damage, loss and/or delay during transportation.
- If you have checked valuables and your baggage is lost during your flight to or from the United States, you will need to provide evidence of the valuables and their value.
- Korean Air cannot be held liable for any damage that resulted from an inherent defect or quality in the baggage.
Our Ad Valorem Policy
- Korean Air operates on an Ad Valorem (Latin for According to Value) system that guarantees compensation of the value of an item reported lost or damaged.
- Ad Valorem fees are calculated at USD 0.50 per USD 100 of the value of the item reported. For more details, please speak with your Korean Air representative at baggage check-in.